Sunday 27 November 2016

Furoshiki workshop at NSCCD

Cotton with Indigo  
This weekend I taught a two day workshop to make furoshiki Japanese wrapping cloths. Working with cotton and indigo dye we experimented with different shibori (resist dying techniques) to create beautiful fabrics that can be used as an alternative for wrapping paper.

Both beautiful and functional they can be used as a lunch bag alternative, a eco-wrapping technique, and even a clothing garment. The fabulous thing about furoshiki is that the fabric can be as special as the gift inside and it can be reused many times.

The end result is a gift that keeps on giving.

Some of the wrapped fabric drying after being dipped in Indigo

I received some great feedback about the course:

"Thank you Kate. I really enjoyed your workshop & I am hooked. I think I could easily spend a LOT of time doing shibori! It is really fun & inspiring, gets my creative juices flowing.

I am anxiously awaiting the unveiling of the rest of my designs tomorrow & will send photos." - Lynda 

For more information: 

Pinterest board for shibori designs - a collection of ideas and techniques 

Facebook page - A place where workshop participants share images of their creation

Furoshiki - fabulous site on ways to fold and wrap your present using cloth 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails